Tolling on the Elizabeth River Tunnels
Tolling on the Elizabeth River Tunnels Project began February 1, 2014. Gantries over the roadway collect the toll electronically—with no cash option and no stopping to pay at tollbooths. Customers can obtain an E-ZPass On-the-Go Kit or service their ERT Pay by Plate account locally.
Visit Our Customer Care Center
The DriveERT Customer Care Center is located at :
Monday – Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
E-ZPass Customer Service
E-ZPass is administered and maintained by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). VDOT E-ZPass Customer Service can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, via our local number at 757-837-0840 or toll-free, 877-762-7824.
Pay by Plate Customer Service
Please contact the DriveERT Customer Care Center for questions regarding Pay by Plate accounts at:
- DriveERT Customer Care Contact Form
- via email at customerservice@DriveERT.biz
- via our local phone number at 757-837-0840 or toll-free at 855-ERT-ROAD*.
- For general Project questions, click here.
*DriveERT Customer Care Center peak call volumes are between 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m-7 p.m. For a shorter wait time, we recommend calling between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. or between 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Peak Period is Monday – Friday, 5:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Holidays and all other times are considered off peak.
- Martin Luther King Extension: Motorists will not pay a toll to use the new MLK Extension.
- E-ZPass is the easiest and cheapest way to pay for the tolls. E-ZPass users just pay the toll rate — no additional processing fees.
- With Pay by Plate:
- Drivers who choose not to obtain an E-ZPass can become a registered Pay by Plate account holder or unregistered user. Registered Pre-Paid Pay by Plate customers using the tunnels will pay a reduced processing fee per trip (in addition to the toll). Unregistered Pay by Plate customers using the tunnels will pay an additional processing fee per trip (in addition to the toll).
- View the current toll rates.
Free use of tolled facilities in the Commonwealth of Virginia is regulated by Virginia Code 33.1-252. Tolling on the Elizabeth River Tunnels Project falls under Virginia Code § 33.1-252 D
Security is a top priority for Elizabeth River Tunnels. The DriveERT.com website uses strong HTTPS encryption (also known as HTTP over TLS, or Transport Layer Security) by default in order to keep your internet experience safer while on our site. Our website requires that your browser be compatible with TLS 1.2. Read more about Cyber Security here.
If you are having issues viewing or accessing the DriveERT.com website, please be sure to update Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox browsers to the most up-to-date version.