Tolling on the Elizabeth River Tunnels
Tolling at the Downtown and Midtown Tunnels began February 1, 2014. Gantries over the roadway collect the toll electronically—with no cash option and no stopping to pay at tollbooths. With all-electronic tolling, license plate recognition is used to identify each vehicle either by an E-ZPass transponder or license plate. Customers without an E-ZPass transponder will Pay by Plate. Pay by Plate customers will receive a statement in the mail requesting payment. Statements are mailed every 30 days. Pay by Plate customers can manage their account balance or switch to E-ZPass at the DriveERT Customer Care Center.
Visit the DriveERT Customer Care Center
The DriveERT Customer Care Center is located at:
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Call DriveERT Customer Care
DriveERT Customer Care phone lines are open Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Local number: 757-837-0840
Toll-free number: 855-ERT-ROAD
For a shorter wait time, we recommend calling between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. or between 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Email DriveERT Customer Care
DriveERT Customer Care representatives are available via email at customerservice@DriveERT.biz Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
E-ZPass Customer Service
E-ZPass is administered and maintained by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). VDOT E-ZPass Customer Service can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, via our local number at 757-837-0840 or toll-free, 877-762-7824.
- Peak Period is Monday – Friday, 5:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Holidays and all other times are considered off peak.
- Martin Luther King Extension: Motorists will not pay a toll to use the new MLK Extension.
- E-ZPass is the easiest and cheapest way to pay for the tolls. E-ZPass users just pay the toll rate — no additional processing fees.
- With Pay by Plate:
- Drivers who choose not to obtain an E-ZPass can become a registered Pay by Plate account holder or unregistered user. Registered Pre-Paid Pay by Plate customers using the tunnels will pay a reduced processing fee per trip (in addition to the toll). Unregistered Pay by Plate customers using the tunnels will pay an additional processing fee per trip (in addition to the toll).
- View the current toll rates.
Free use of tolled facilities in the Commonwealth of Virginia is regulated by Virginia Code 33.1-252. Tolling on the Elizabeth River Tunnels Project falls under Virginia Code § 33.1-252 D
Security is a top priority for Elizabeth River Tunnels. The DriveERT.com website uses strong HTTPS encryption (also known as HTTP over TLS, or Transport Layer Security) by default in order to keep your internet experience safer while on our site. Our website requires that your browser be compatible with TLS 1.2. Read more about Cyber Security here.
If you are having issues viewing or accessing the DriveERT.com website, please be sure to update Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox browsers to the most up-to-date version.