New Policies at ERC
New Policies at ERC
Effective immediately, DriveERT has changed the way tunnel users will receive toll bills, and a major restructuring and reduction of late fees for unpaid tolls. The changes are among several from DriveERT to improve the customer experience for all users of the Elizabeth River Tunnels. We hope this will make the process of late toll payment less confusing and more practical for our customers.
- We have implemented a new 30-day monthly billing cycle. The change to a 30-day cycle ends the practice of sending multiple and sometimes confusing invoices every month to our customers. Now users of the tunnels will get a single 30-day statement that includes all trips in a 30-day period and more closely resembles how customers receive statements for other routine bills like credit cards, cable service and utilities.
- Customers who use the Elizabeth River Tunnels without an E-ZPass, or an E-ZPass that is out of funds, or an E-ZPass that is not linked their license plate will receive a Pay-by-Plate statement in the mail. That statement will include all trips taken in the previous month.
- Also, beginning today a $25 late fee will be applied to monthly statements that include unpaid tolls over 30 days old. The significant change here is that the late fee applies to the statement, and not to individual transactions on the statement.
- Regardless of the number of trips taken, the late fees are set at a consistent rate of $25 for every 30 days that the tolls remain unpaid.
- After 120 days, unpaid tolls will be referred to collections and assessed a $50 collections fee.
But let’s be clear. ERC is not running a business based on fees. We want our customers to pay the lowest toll. And the best way to do that is by signing up for and properly maintaining an E-ZPass account. We encourage all our customers, even those who only use the tunnels infrequently, to sign up for an E-ZPass at www.ezpassva.com or toll-free at (877) 762-7824.
If you have any questions at all, call our Customer Care Center toll-free at (855) 378-7623.