Visit www.va511.org, call 511 or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR)
1680 AM or call the VDOT Traffic Information Line at 757-361-3016 for current traffic and travel information.
View our News Release page for the latest news and traffic information.
Route 58 Midtown Tunnel
Visit the Midtown Tunnel page for more information.
- Single Right Lane Closure, U.S. 58 East exiting the Midtown Tunnel towards Norfolk until just past the West Brambleton Avenue ramp beginning Monday, March 2 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for pavement marking. This work will continue each weekday until complete and is contingent on weather conditions.
I-264 East Downtown Tunnel Rehabilitation
Visit the Rehabilitation Work page for more information. Weekend closures of the Downtown Tunnel eastbound to Norfolk began Friday, July 25. The tunnel will close each scheduled weekend from Friday at 8 p.m. until Monday at 5 a.m. through fall 2014. The current eastbound full direction weekend closure schedule is as follows:
Full direction weekend closures:
- March 6-9: Closed Friday at 8 p.m. until Monday at 5 a.m.
Single lane closures: Monday through Thursday, March 2-5 from 8 p.m. each night until 5 a.m. the following morning.
I-264 West Downtown Tunnel Rehabilitation
Visit the Rehabilitation Work page for more information.
View the updated Tunnel Rehabilitation Fact Sheet.
The closure schedule for the Downtown Tunnel westbound to Portsmouth is as follows:
- Full direction weeknight closures: No scheduled closures.
- Single lane closures: Thursday (CANCELED) Feb. 26 from 8 p.m. each night until 5 a.m. the following morning.
Martin Luther King (MLK) Extension
Visit the MLK Extension page for more information.
View our MLK Construction Brochure for more information on construction activities impacting Interstate 264 (I-264).
- Feb. 6: Turnpike Road in Portsmouth will close between Confederate Avenue and Constitution Avenue for up to eight weeks beginning Monday, Feb. 9 for drain installation. Signed detours will be in place directing traffic to Confederate and Constitution avenues.
- Sept. 17: The long-term closure of Turnpike Rd. in Portmouth between Constitution Ave. and Confederate Ave. is expected to begin as early as Monday, Sept. 22 and last through MLK construction, scheduled for completion at the end of 2016.
- August 5, 2014: Harbor Dr. in Portsmouth between High St. and Turnpike Rd. will permanently close as early as Aug. 8 for construction activities related to the MLK Extension.
- July 18, 2014: Direct access to Harbor Dr. from several residential streets in Portsmouth will close beginning as early as the week of July 21. The new configuration is as follows: – Direct access to Harbor Dr. is removed from King St., County St. and Meander Rd. – Motorists wishing to access King St. or County St. east of Harbor Drive will need to use Constitution Ave. – Motorists wishing to access King St., Meander Rd. or County St. west of Harbor Drivewill need to use Confederate Ave. (see green lines below).
- Apr. 14, 2014: The I-264 East Frederick Blvd. off-ramp is closed for up to 18 months coinciding with construction activities on the MLK Extension. Motorists currently using the I-264 East Frederick Blvd. off-ramp to access Frederick Blvd. will be temporarily rerouted to use the I-264 East Portsmouth Blvd. Exit to Frederick Blvd. See detour highlighted below:
- Apr. 14, 2014: The South St. on-ramp to I-264 West is permanently closed in coordination with construction activities on the MLK Extension. Motorists currently using the South Street on-ramp to access I-264 West will be permanently rerouted to the Effingham St. on-ramp to I-264 West. See detour highlighted below:
- Apr. 4, 2014: the Project team will temporarily close portions of Trexler Ave. and Manteo St. in Portsmouth to through traffic beginning Thursday, April 10 for construction activities on the Martin Luther King (MLK) Extension.
- Feb. 21, 2014: The US 58 West London Blvd. South off-ramp is temporarily closed for up to 12 months for construction activities on the MLK Extension. Long-term lane closures on US 58 East and West near the London Blvd. bridge are in place to coincide with striping work. Traffic traveling toward London Blvd. South will detour onto High St. to London Blvd.
- Nov. 21, 2013: The I-264 East Des Moines Ave. off-ramp on I-264 East is closed permanently. Motorists are permanently rerouted to the Effingham St. off-ramp.
- Nov. 20, 2013: The right lane and right shoulder is closed on I-264 East from Portsmouth Blvd. to just east of Des Moines Ave. This closure will remain in place for up to 18 months.