Visit www.va511.org, call 511 or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR)
1680 AM or call the VDOT Traffic Information Line at 757-361-3016 for current traffic and travel information.
View our Press Release page for the latest news and traffic information.
Route 58 Midtown Tunnel
Visit the Midtown Tunnel page for more information.
- Apr. 22, 2014: The Elizabeth River Tunnels Project team will close the Midtown Tunnel in both directions to conduct tide gate testing on Sunday, April 27, from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. During the tunnel closure, traffic will be detoured to the Interstate 264 (I-264) Downtown Tunnel.
I-264 West Downtown Tunnel Rehabilitation
Visit the Rehabilitation Work page for more information.
View the updated Tunnel Rehabilitation Fact Sheet.
- Apr. 3, 2014: Reminder that the I-264 West Downtown Tunnel will close nightly for tunnel rehabilitation this Friday, April 4. On Friday, April 4 and Saturday, April 5 the westbound tunnel will close each night at 8 p.m. until 8 a.m. the following morning.
- Mar. 21, 2014: Crews will resume closures of the Interstate 264 (I-264) West Downtown Tunnel nightly for tunnel rehabilitation on Friday, April 4. On Friday, April 4 and Saturday, April 5 the tunnel will close each night at 8 p.m. until 8 a.m. the next morning. Drivers can expect delays of up to 30 minutes during the closure when being detoured to the Interstate 64 (I-64) High Rise Bridge. Other alternate routes include Route 58 Midtown Tunnel and the tolled South Norfolk Jordan Bridge. Concurrent with the Friday and Saturday overnight closures, the following ramps from Norfolk will also close as early as 7 p.m. each night: the on-ramp from City Hall Ave. onto I-264 West and the on-ramp from Tidewater Dr. onto I-264 West.
- Jan. 31, 2014: Crews are removing the existing lighting on the left side of the I-264 West Downtown Tunnel and will replace it with new LED lighting first before moving to the right side of the tube. Work to complete the left side of the tunnel is expected to take approximately 10 weeks. During this time, lighting levels will be diminished. For increased safety, motorists are encouraged to turn on their headlights while driving through the westbound Downtown Tunnel.
Martin Luther King (MLK) Extension
Visit the MLK Extension page for more information.
View our MLK Construction Brochure for more information on construction activities impacting Interstate 264 (I-264).
- Apr. 14, 2014: The I-264 East Frederick Blvd. off-ramp is closed for up to 18 months coinciding with construction activities on the MLK Extension. Motorists currently using the I-264 East Frederick Blvd. off-ramp to access Frederick Blvd. will be temporarily rerouted to use the I-264 East Portsmouth Blvd. Exit to Frederick Blvd. See detour highlighted below:
- Apr. 14, 2014: The South St. on-ramp to I-264 West is permanently closed in coordination with construction activities on the MLK Extension. Motorists currently using the South Street on-ramp to access I-264 West will be permanently rerouted to the Effingham St. on-ramp to I-264 West. See detour highlighted below:
- Apr. 4, 2014: the Project team will temporarily close portions of Trexler Ave. and Manteo St. in Portsmouth to through traffic beginning Thursday, April 10 for construction activities on the Martin Luther King (MLK) Extension.
- Mar. 7, 2014: Crews will remove the Interstate 264 (I-264) pedestrian bridge near Frederick Blvd. overnight on Monday, March 10 for construction activities associated with the Martin Luther King (MLK) Extension Project. Project crews will need to close I-264 in both directions from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. between Frederick Blvd. and Portsmouth Blvd. to remove the structure. Additionally, on Tuesday, March 11 from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m., motorists should expect construction activities reducing the roadway to one traffic lane on I-264 East at the pedestrian bridge site for crews to complete bridge and ramp demolition.
- Feb. 21, 2014: The US 58 West London Blvd. South off-ramp is temporarily closed for up to 12 months for construction activities on the MLK Extension. Long-term lane closures on US 58 East and West near the London Blvd. bridge are in place to coincide with striping work. Traffic traveling toward London Blvd. South will detour onto High St. to London Blvd.
- Nov. 21, 2013: The I-264 East Des Moines Ave. off-ramp on I-264 East is closed permanently. Motorists are permanently rerouted to the Effingham St. off-ramp.
- Nov. 20, 2013: The right lane and right shoulder is closed on I-264 East from Portsmouth Blvd. to just east of Des Moines Ave. This closure will remain in place for up to 18 months.