Elizabeth River Crossings (ERC) is committed to operating responsibly within the Hampton Roads community. As part of our long-term business partnership with the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Virginia Department of Transportation, we strive to be socially responsible and to be active in the communities in which we operate — chiefly the cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth, Virginia. The Elizabeth River Tunnels project that ERC is delivering will contribute to the economic development of the area through jobs creation (project-direct and indirect jobs) and with robust local business subcontracting goals. Through a nearly $2 million annual subsidy to Hampton Roads Transit, ERC strives to offer lower cost transportation options and alternatives for all members of the community.
Areas of Focus
Elizabeth River Crossings aims to make a positive contribution to our local communities through charitable donations, sponsorships, employee volunteering and other initiatives that help to make a difference. In addition to economic development and transportation, ERC focuses community outreach activities on four main areas:
- Youth development
- Health and Wellness
For consideration of support (financial, in-kind or volunteer), an organization must meet the standards set forth in ERC’s Business Ethics Policy and the ERC Code of Conduct and also meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a tax-exempt 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization recognized by the Internal Revenue Service
- Be an organization whose budget has no more than 30% allocated for overhead vs. direct programs
- Be a Hampton Roads-based organization directly benefiting the residents and communities within the cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth, VA
- Be in compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity Commission requirements for anti-discrimination and in compliance with Occupational Health & Safety Administration requirements for job safety and health protection, OR
- Be a Hampton Roads-based public educational institution
Contributions (financial, in-kind or volunteer) may not be used for political or religious purposes, including organizations or events that promote religion.
All requests for support must be made in writing and submitted by U.S. post or via email. Requests should be submitted to the attention of:
Attn: Charitable Initiatives Programs
Elizabeth River Crossings
152 Tunnel Facility Drive
Portsmouth, VA 23707
Requests must include the following information, in writing, to be considered:
- A 501(c) (3) letter from the IRS
- Organization’s mission statement and history
- Geographic area served by your organization
- List board of directors, trustees, and key staff
- List of any ERC, employees involved with your organization
- Number of individuals that benefit from your organization each year
- Organization’s overall fundraising goal this year
- State whether your organization has received a donation from ERC before. If yes, explain how it was used and how the donation benefited your organization.
- Name of project
- Detailed description of purpose for project
- Indicate whether project is existing or new program
- Give total project budget
- Give total amount of request and indicate how this contribution will be used
- Indicate if contribution will be used for operating expenses or capital funds
- List other businesses or community leaders involved with project
- Reasons why ERC should support this project
- Project estimated completion date and how progress reports will be made
- If fundraising event, briefly describe function and list number of people anticipated to attend
ERC may require a follow-up report from your organization within six months of any donation. Future requests are not automatic and reports are an important factor in future funding decisions.
Requests will be reviewed on an individual and confidential basis. If you have any questions or require additional information please respond via email to info@DriveERT.com.
For those organizations selected by ERC for support (financial, in-kind or volunteer), it is our request that no reference to Elizabeth River Crossings, the Elizabeth River Tunnels Project (ERT) or any use of ERC or ERT trademark, logos or copyrighted materials be used without prior written authorization.